Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Sisters, Daughters, Girlfriends... lend me your ears (or eyes)...

We need to know

Today, I really felt a sudden need to say... We all need to start loving ourselves and stop our self-bashing. I dunno why we do it, but I am now declaring a war against inadequacy, low self-esteem and the inferiority complex.

I know we all have our moments, and some of us never stop feeling this way. But we shouldn't, and being human is not a good excuse anymore. See, the devil has been pulling the wool over our eyes, having us believe we are not ideal. And somemore, that if we were ideal, then we would be loved and accepted and that will equal contentment, fulfillment and peace.

ALL LIES.

Truth is, God is the only answer. And I know... we all will say, we have God! We know He loves us, we know He accepts us. No we don't know it really. Because if we internalised it, then we would really be very comfortable. Give an example. Your mother at home doesn't always wear the sexiest or most gorgeous clothes, she doesn't wear make-up all the time, and really in front of your father, she is just casual and happy. Most important of all, your mum isn't anything else but herself, she can change infront of your father and not try to hide. She can be weak and needy... why? Because your mum knows your father loves her and accepts her in any packaging, so she can be absolutely comfortable with who she is, and what she does.

I dont know if that made sense. But we dont have to strive in God's love. We can actually enjoy ourselves. We need to see the good things about ourselves in the mirror instead of zooming in on the bad ones. We need to revel in ourselves, the way God revels in us. Smile into the mirror and imagine the smile on God's face, laugh at our silly mistakes, clap wildly at our accomplishments and encourage ourselves towards the tasks ahead.

I know I've said it over and over.... but I have to keep saying it. My heart is broken for the girls, young ladies and women out there... myself included. That we can't be joyful and be secure in ourselves, and that we keep thinking that there is something else that we ought to be, in order to match up to the ideal.

When God looks at us, He sees only the perfections, because Jesus' blood stands between us, and Him. But we need to accept the blood, and God's love in order to be behind that screen.

Where am I going with this? That it all boils down to facing up to the truth. Maybe it's easier to hide under our feelings of inadequacy... physical, mental, social or spiritual... maybe... but the truth will set us free... Free! Free from the bondage of the depression cycle, the constant need for attention and for affirmation from others. It will set us free from ourselves, and see who we are. Through the eyes of the Maker.

Please try. please...don't let yourself swim in a bog forever. We need to arise, need to live. We need to help each other out.

2 comments:

enai said...

I'm going to start. =) By saying that today I enjoyed myself. I found books in the library... and walking down the staircase, mused over how much I loved reading and burying my head in story books. But I love that about myself, and I know God thinks the same. and I praised God and I smiled =) [yes i'm posting my own comment here]

Serene Huang said...

haha u are mad! u commented on your own blog. i FULLY FULLY agree with ya, and I admit to feeling that way sometimes. But I love myself a lot more nowadays, most of all, I've learnt to love God and to love what He loves! : )