Sunday, September 26, 2004

talking voices

something hazel said to me this morning has been echoing around in my head all day... and it got me thinking about some very interesting things.

"but was brightened again when you called... i recognized your voice straight away... its un mistakable"
9/26/20048:09:55 AM - Hazel


And I was just thinking to myself, how great it would be if God's voice was unmistakable, because right now, I really want to hear somethings from God. That got me thinking some more... which i'll just share here. Read up, cos if you talked to me, your name may come up!

1) We can recognise our close friend's voices... there wont be any confusion if you have spent enough time talking to the person, and frequently enough so that you have a good understanding of what he or she sounds like. Like how Hazel said... it's unmistakable. And with God, it works the same way too... if I want to hear God's voice, and be sure it's His, I need to spend enough time with Him to learn how He speaks...

2) When you spend enough time with a person, you begin to sound like them. I talked to Ben, and he asked me "So, how are you?" in a way that sounded exactly like Kel. I think that that relates to God too... the more time you talk to Him, the more you'll sound like Him to other people.

3) There are friends that you can talk to anytime, about anything and even non-endings become part of the conversation. Becky and I just started yakking away till she had to leave... and I felt like the conversation wasn't finished... but just to get 3 minutes with her was such a treat! I think that conversations with God don't have to be long ones... anytime you want to talk, He'll be excited to talk... He'll understand when you are rushing, but wants to hear about your rush anyway...

4) Talking... there are different levels. You can talk to someone and care for them and want to share what is happening and do that, but you don't connect. Sometimes you can get so focussed on what is wrong in the relationship, that you forget about getting the relationship to work. I spoke to someone today like that.... I think sometimes I get so hung up on "oh I'm not hearing God" that I forget to be still, and just know that He is God and I just need to approach Him.

5) Sometimes you miss a chance to talk to a person, but you get another chance. I missed Serene at the coffeeshop handphone passing around time, but she was online in the morning! I think sometimes we miss a chance to hear God's voice.... but we'll hear it again, maybe not in the same way, but just cos we missed one time doesn't mean He'll stop speaking.

6) Sometimes content is less important than the act of hearing and speaking. I spoke to a lot of wonderful people... and honestly, all I did was ask how they were... but getting to be in touch... that was significant. There are times when we have nothing to tell God about, then... we can just talk about not very deep things... but making the time and making the effort to be able to hear Him... that is more important.

Hmm... well, that's about all i'm thinking about right now... sorry if they don't all have to do with voices and talking, my thoughts wander alot! =)

But I know what i'm going to do... is get a little more time with God! hearing His voice and talking to Him=)

No comments: